FEMA Preliminary Flood Maps (FIRMs)
We will post updates to this webpage as information becomes available.
TIMELINE UPDATE 08/22/17: According to the Iowa DNR, the earliest we will receive the six-month notice of the finalized new maps will be November 2017. If this is the case, the new preliminary maps will become effective in May 2018. We will continue to update this information as needed.Preliminary Flood Maps: Over the past few years, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has been refining, updating, and digitizing flood plain maps nationwide. Recently, FEMA has produced new preliminary Flood Insurance Rate Maps for the City of Urbandale based on the most recent data. In February 2016, FEMA published a Public Notice for these preliminary maps. This began a period in which communities and their citizens could review and appeal the preliminary maps. FEMA is now in the process of reviewing these appeals.
LOMCs: If you currently have an effective Letters of Map Change (LOMC), such as a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) or a Letter of Map Revision (LOMR), you may view these on the above web map. LOMCs listed as Not Incorporated have not been included in the mapping revisions, but will be revalidated free-of-charge one day after the revised FIRMs become effective. LOMCs listed as Superseded will no longer be in effect when the revised FIRMs become effective. If you have a LOMC that is not shown on our web map, please contact our office.
LOMA-OAS: For properties where the 100-year flood area touches the parcel but the building structure is clearly outside this area, the property owner may request a “Letter of Map Amendment – Out as Shown” (LOMA-OAS). PLEASE NOTE: At this time, you may apply for a LOMA-OAS only if the current effective map touches your property. For the new preliminary maps, a LOMA-OAS request cannot be submitted more than 60-days before the effective date of the new maps; as the effective date of the new maps is estimated to be February 2018, you will need to wait until the end of 2017 to file your LOMA-OAS. Helpful Links:
- Directions for applying for a LOMA-OAS: http://www.iafpm.com/LOMA-OAS.pdf.
- The application uses the MT-EZ. DO NOT use the instructions in this form, follow the instructions in the LOMA-OAS link above. http://www.iafpm.com/mt_ez_complete_rev_06_2012_.pdf.
- Guide to Create a FIRMette At this time, only the current effective maps are available. The new preliminary maps will become available sometime in 2017, check back for timeline updates.
- Guide to Download Plat from the County Recorders' websites
• FEMA has a list of FAQs on their website at http://www.fema.gov/homeowners-frequently-asked-questions.
• The Iowa DNR has also provided information on the new maps at www.iowafloodmaps.org