Home Base Iowa
Background on State Initiative
Home Base Iowa is a one-of-a-kind program assisting veterans and transitioning service members. Currently, Iowa's unemployment rate is under four percent and businesses need skilled workers. This program helps connect these businesses with qualified veterans looking for career opportunities. Countless resources help veterans and their families with education and in transitioning to a new community with focused support and individuals who want to help. Home Base Iowa's private-public partnership provides a high level of commitment and resources for our veterans, transitioning service members and their families.
Urbandale Home Base Iowa Businesses
If you're an Urbandale business owner or employee and are interested in supporting this important initiative, please consider becoming a Home Base Iowa Business.
What does this mean?
Home Base Iowa businesses:
- Pledge to hire Veterans.
- Commit to posting their jobs on the State's website.
Veterans Moving to Urbandale
On May 6, 2016, the City of Urbandale became a designated Home Base Iowa Community. This designation recognizes the community's ongoing support of Veterans and their path to finding quality employment after ending active military service.
A veteran moving to Urbandale could be eligible for assistance provided by the City.
Eligibility requirements include:
- Residence in Urbandale within one year of active military duty, beginning on or after March 1, 2016.
- Residency is confirmed by a signed lease agreement or closing statement.
- Military duty status is confirmed by a DD-214 form.
City Financial Assistance
When a veteran leases a home or apartment in Urbandale, the City of Urbandale will issue a check for $250 to the veteran to spend on the transition to the community and potentially support health and wellness expenses.
When a veteran purchases a home in Urbandale, the City of Urbandale will issue a check for $1,000 to the veteran to help offset the cost for City related services of owning a home--such as the cost of six months of water service, garbage bins, and trash collection, in addition to supporting health and wellness expenses. If the veteran previously received $250 for leasing expenses, it would be deducted.
- Complimentary resume review services for veterans and spouses by City of Urbandale Human Resources Department
- Discounted municipal pool passes and Parks and Recreation Department Programs for one year after veteran/veteran’s family establishes residence in Urbandale.
If you'd like to apply for assistance through the Urbandale Home Base Iowa program, please fill out this application (PDF) and a W-9 (if applicable) and email Curtis Brown.